Should we plan a student design contest?

Tagged: , ,

• Author
      Down
      March 11, 2021 at 11:40 am #3025

If there was a small budget for a prize, we could gather lots of ideas to help clarify requirements in advance of engaging large architectural design expenses. Here is a sample flyer that could be used or adapted:

Flyer for student design contest

• Up
      Down
      March 11, 2021 at 11:40 am #3043

At this beginning stage I think we should motivate creativity more with love and expression of vision rather than money.

Money also suggests “Who gets the prize?” rather than how the ideas blend, contrast and stimulate the next iteration.

A money prize also creates the need for criteria, a judging system and judges, and leaves more people as losers than winners, and in fact there is no objective way to judge between 20 amazing inspirations, expressed with varying degrees of technical competence.

I agree we should put the design questions to the public school system and the private schools and neutral zone .

Rather than a “Student Design Contest”  we should have a “Student Design Collaboration”..and after the first submissions, try to get all the contributors together to look at all the submissions and see what fits together or what several patterns emerge.

after that has happened we could put the design question to the Ann Arbor artists and designers and public, University Design school…unless some clear best plan has emerged and all that is needed is the professional details.

anyhow these awesome other thoughts

• Up
      Down
      March 11, 2021 at 11:40 am #3044

Well said Alan, I agree. The core principal of The Commons is what is common to all and the one thing we all have in common is each other. In life we are pinned up against each other, every man for himself. Here at the commons we should be about “Commons Collaboration.” Where we work together to become a cohesive whole, to join in unity to build the future place our children will play. And that play will be so much more enriching if the space was created by the hearts and hands of many.

• Up
        Down
        March 11, 2021 at 11:40 am #3045

@bonniebeth If there is not a prize, then there is not a contest. So please tell me, what efforts are being made to have anyone submit designs. I believe that Robert Black has asked for some form of compensation after a certain level of time on his part.

Has anyone looked into whether a student in the architecture school could get credit for this work? The prize does not necessarily have to be monetary, but without an incentive, I do not see this going very far.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.